The First Minister is anxious to avoid a repeat of the scenes around Glasgow Cross last weekend where around 3,000 fans celebrated in the streets – forcing police to move in.
John Swinney has urged Celtic fans to behave ahead of the team’s appearance in the Scottish Cup final.
The side will play Dunfermline at Hampden in the final game of the domestic season, but it comes after hundreds of fans invaded the pitch after Celtic won the league on Saturday, with thousands then descending on the Trongate area of Glasgow, where some clashed with police and officers were injured.
The scenes were condemned across the political spectrum with then justice secretary Angela Constance – who has since been moved to the health brief – telling MSPs no punishment was off the table.
Swinney today urged fans to “desist”.
“There is absolutely no justification for any form of disorder or violence in and around a football match, or in any other circumstance in our society,” he said.
“So the events of last weekend were appalling and they can not be repeated.
“So I simply say to the minority of Celtic fans that were involved in the disorder last weekend to desist in being involved in that violence, to act like all the other Celtic fans who simply celebrated the football and to ensure that there is not the disorder that took place last week.
READ MORE: Jenny Gilruth claims public sector reform is ‘really exciting’ despite 10,000 job losses on the horizonREAD MORE: Stephen Flynn denies he’s after John Swinney’s job after being handed top Scottish Government Cabinet role
“Of course, we will engage as a government with the city council and the football authorities in trying to take whatever steps can be taken to try to avoid a repeat of last Saturday’s unacceptable events.”
Following the disorder – which saw two officers seriously injured – calls were made to create a fan zone for supporters to celebrate their team’s wins, given the regular Celtic celebrations which bring disruption to the Trongate following a win.
Glasgow City Council, however, rejected the suggestions out of hand, suggesting it “simply isn’t credible”, despite the Scottish Government disagreeing.
Asked if talks were ongoing about creating such areas, the First Minister said: “Ministers will be in contact with the football authorities to try and advance some of these issues.”
















































