The South Scotland MSP released words to the media after he was charged by Police Scotland
An MSP has denied hiding a secret camera in a Holyrood toilet after he was charged by police.
Colin Smyth issued a statement after the Daily Record exclusively revealed the claims against him.
Officers from Police Scotland said earlier this month that Smyth was charged on August 5th with possessing indecent images.
We reported on Thursday that he had also been charged in connection with an alleged hidden camera in a bathroom.
In a statement, Smyth denied the new allegation which he said came as “an utter shock”.
He said: “The speculation, and recent decision by the police to release publicly details of their ongoing inquiries along with my home address has been devastating and has taken a serious toll on my health.
“After my address was published, I felt I had no choice but to move away to protect my family.”
READ MORE: “No camera found” in parliament toilet after MSP Colin Smyth charged over “hidden device”READ MORE: Labour MSP Colin Smyth “put secret camera in parliament toilet”
Smyth was elected as a Labour MSP but the party has suspended him.
Meanwhile, Holyrood authorities have said no covert device has been “found” after a police sweep of the bathroom and changing rooms at the Scottish Parliament.
In a joint statement, Johnstone and Parliament chief executive David McGill emailed building users today: “You will have read the deeply concerning reports in the media this morning and we understand the unease and anxiety this will be causing you.
“We can confirm that Police Scotland, with our support, have conducted a full sweep of all toilets and changing rooms in our building and that no covert recording devices have been found. We have also instructed that enhanced additional checks to our existing security sweeps of the building take place going forward.
“Please be assured that our priority is your safety and welfare and please be confident to use the building as you would normally.
“We do realise this is a difficult time for building users and will write with further information later. Do not hesitate to contact us if there is any support or advice we can provide.”
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “On Tuesday, 5 August, 2025, officers executed a warrant at a property in Dumfries and a 52-year-old man was arrested and charged as part of an ongoing investigation. He is due to appear at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date.”
To sign up to the Daily Record Politics newsletter, click here